Tel: (315) 687-3351
Built as a one room schoolhouse in 1850, the building is made of locally quarried limestone and is the only stone schoolhouse left standing in the town of Manlius. At the time of its construction, Mycenae was known as Hartsville, a tiny hamlet supporting a store, a tannery and of course, the school. Since it was the only public building in Hartsville, it served many purposes. Social events, civic meetings, Sunday School classes and even funerals were held here.
The school was closed in 1936 and the children sent to Fayetteville for school. The outhouse and woodshed disappeared. The belfry collapsed in 2001 and was rebuilt with a replacement (non-working) bell. It has had many reincarnations as a community center, a Syracuse Assembly of Christians Church, an antique shop and now, Hartsville Hollow.
The old schoolhouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. Many curiosity seekers stop in just to see our wonderful building and we love to share with them what we know and have learned about the building. Come and see us!